Saturday, July 7, 2012

On the Purpose of Religion: Introduction

First, to preface: I have not yet taken a course or even read a full book on religion, though I ought to have by now. I have not yet traveled the world on my own to truly learn about its myriad cultures, though again I ought to do so.

These thoughts, then, come from a mind that is functionally illiterate in religion but nevertheless takes the liberty of having thoughts about it. Therefore, any corrections, additions, or (dare I hope) agreement would be very, very much appreciated. I know I know nothing, but I would like to.

Although the purposes of religion are perhaps uncountable, I believe the original functions of many are to give some combination of comfort and morality, order and causality. These are obviously interdependent and likely incomplete, but they will do as a starting point for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment