Saturday, March 3, 2018

Aged 99

Age is just a number, they said.
99 years of life, just a number.
99 years till a timely death,
For some definition of timely.

I took a walk some years ago
Through hills and woods and snow
And found a cabin sitting still
On a path long untraveled
1 door, 4 doorways,
1 table, 3 plates,
1 bedroom, 2 beds,
1 fireplace, just numbers.

A 50-50 chance I make it
To another year, another number.
A 4-month median survival.
But I’m not a number, they said.

 I took a walk some years ago
Through the trees into a meadow,
And I found a piece of glass
Shining in the grass, in the sun.
6 sides, an irregular hexagon,
Its past forgotten, its future unknown
To me, but even to itself.
Perhaps especially to itself.

6 more months to another number,
Those months to be forever unknown.
Because time is up, and my clockwork heart
Rang out its final tone.

No comments:

Post a Comment