Sunday, June 24, 2018

Fireflies, Part 1: An Introduction

It's firefly season!! Magical in their transient bioluminescence, as full of symbolism as light itself, fireflies are fantastic in every sense of the word. In the Great Smoky Mountains, members of a certain firefly species (Photinus carolinus) synchronize their flashing lights for their few weeks of summer dancing. They are the only species in the US to do this, and so the spectacle is a rare natural wonder in both space and time.

One member of the poetry group I meet with won the lottery to go this year, and so I was given inspiration to write some firefly poetry! As this is the first Part of perhaps four, here is the first poem, written about my first firefly encounter this year...

Falling Away

Computer left forgotten in the reading room 
So I’m walking back in the dusk and gloom 
When a sudden spark brightens the night 
Veering through the dark, vanishing... 

Reappearing, as if I were stirring 
A pot of hot embers in the air 
Loosing fire, and lighting 
My way until they 
All fade away 
Fall away
And as a bonus, here is a beautiful firefly video made by a talented firefly photographer:

No comments:

Post a Comment