Tuesday, April 7, 2020

From seed to seed

In high school biology, my teacher planted seeds. 
They didn’t all grow, naturally, 
but mine by chance was sown deep, 

and I tended to it daily: 
I read it countless books, 
I told it all the things I’d learned, 
I asked around how best to fertilize it, 
and let that advice bloom freely 

and so here we are ten years later 
my seed a jaunty sapling still filled 
with all the optimism I’d poured over it 
begging me to take its seeds and shower them 
from coast to coast and perhaps even farther
and hope for even more 
seeds and more 
saplings, more 
trees and more 
teachers. 

So perhaps, when this storm passes 
as storms do 
there will be some forests left standing 
and perhaps 
a few of those trees will be mine 
to nurture 
to let go to let grow on their own. 

#NaPoWriMo 7/30

1 comment:

  1. Wish you a forest of hope and then an abundance of harvest.

    ReplyDelete