Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Tablet Pen or Wooden Pencil?


I love arts and crafts--drawing, coloring, painting, sculpting, the list goes on. Unfortunately, my skills at all of them haven't really grown since I was in 4th grade or so (and I'm sure I could find plenty of 4th graders far better than me).

But I still love it, even if I'm no good. As I've mentioned before, GIMP has allowed me to bypass many of the fundamentals to arrive at passably pretty abstract art ("nice" is the most appropriate adjective), mostly using tricks like gradient rendering, rotation, and symmetry. :)

Recently though, I've started to wonder whether going on this way is really acceptable to me. Making perfectly symmetric glowing flowers and vibrant colors is all well and good, but art should really be something more, some expression of an idea or memory or emotion or story. I can't do that with the skills I have now.

So it was with great pleasure that I opened a postage box on my birthday a few weeks ago and found a drawing tablet to use with my computer! It will take me a while to learn to use it well, but it's encouraging that I can already draw something I never could on my computer: the flames above, which are practically omnipresent on my class notes. And of course, now I can add in my pretty colors. :D

I don't know which comes first--learning how to draw with a tablet, or just learning to draw at all. Regardless, exciting times await!

No comments:

Post a Comment