Sunday, May 21, 2017

The Simple Things


It started with a gift. My roommate offered me some leftover romaine lettuce he was unlikely to use. I said "sure, thank you!" and thought to myself: I guess it's salad time! Coincidentally, we had just come back from a grocery trip, and I'd picked up some roma tomatoes and a loaf of french bread (just as pantry staples no specific use in mind).

So chop-chop-chop in 10 cuts went the lettuce, which was still nice and crunchy near the base. And chop-chop-chop went a tomato in 10 more cuts. I ripped off one end of the french bread, tore it in half, and stuck it in my toaster to get some of those delightful burnt crunchy bits (BCBs). A little drizzle of Caesar dressing on the salad (just tomatoes and lettuce, remember), and on second thought, I decided to add a few small pieces of butter on top of the hot bread. I couldn't be bothered to spread it evenly, and they melted nicely anyway.

I kid you not, this was the most satisfying dinner I've had all week. Yet it was also the easiest, thrown together in a couple minutes with barely any thought at all. But the tomatoes were juicy, the lettuce crisp, the bread crunchy and warm and soft all at once.

Sometimes, it really is the simple things.


No comments:

Post a Comment