Sunday, May 7, 2017

Things I Learned in Surgery

  1. Make things easier for yourself: Surgery is hard enough already, so making it easier was a common theme on which attendings would mentor residents in the OR. There were 3 common varieties:
    1. Visualization: If you can't see what you're doing, it is much harder to do it well. More generally, what can be observed can be manipulated, and what can be measured can be managed.
    2. Tool Selection: Is there some other tool that would be better suited to what we're trying to do? That's why we have so many surgical tools in the first place - to make each individual step as easy as possible. There may be more than one way to achieve any task, but some will be better than others.
    3. Ergonomics: Having picked a tool, how can we use it most effectively? Raise the table, choke up on the needle, tilt the wrist...there are so many little things that can make a process easier on the surgeon's body and the patient's.
  2. Make things easier for others: This is definitely a next-level skill, but it's well worth the effort within and outside the OR. As we work toward a common goal, what can I do to help my team do their work more effectively and efficiently? If I'm the leader (e.g. the attending surgeon), how can I help my first assistant help me better?
  3. Stop when you're struggling: Maybe some arteries are oozing more than I'd like. Perhaps my projects are taking longer than expected. Or my patient is not recovering as quickly as they should. Stop. Step back. This is necessary to effectively use #1 and #2 above, but beyond that, this skill is the point of entry to learning and improvement.

1 comment: