Saturday, February 4, 2012

Bookshelf: The Organizing Adventure!

As transient as snow in California, a well-sorted bookshelf is rare and does not last very long. Yet the process of removing all the books into a messy pile, planning and organizing, and then putting them back in some semblance of order is really fun and fulfilling, for some reason. This is true of any large-scale organization project, of course, but a bookshelf sits in balance between complete disarray and acceptable manageability. And there are so many serious decisions to be made!

Should I sort first by the owner of the book (i.e. me, my sister, my mom, or my dad), or should I just go by genre? Within fiction, should I separate out all the series? Do brain teasers and number theory books fall in the same category? For each section, should I organize by color or size or author or title? Does any of this even really matter? What are the chances of this bookshelf being organized in two weeks? What's the point of this, anyway?

The point, Vishesh, is that it's fun, and you like order, and when you turn the disarray back into beautiful shelves of books, you will feel so accomplished that you won't feel obligated to do anything else for the rest of the day. Also, books are really awesome. :D But that's for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment