Thursday, February 9, 2012

Grading: A Potluck of Emotions

Yes, yes, grading is supposed to be objective. I'm not trying to say that I let my emotions influence the grades I give, but the process of grading is really a roller coaster on the wheels of my nerves.
  1. First comes excitement, at the prospect of a new experience and seeing how the students dealt with the problems we gave them.
  2. Then comes joy, as one person seems to completely understand what's going on.
  3. Then comes disappointment, as someone else doesn't.
  4. Then comes sadness, as I'm forced to take off points because someone just forgot to do a problem, apparently.
  5. Then comes ecstasy, as someone not only seems like he/she knew exactly what I was looking for but also has the neatest handwriting I have ever seen.
  6. Then comes bewilderment, as I find someone who obviously didn't understand the problem at all but really really tried hard, put in a lot of work, and came up with a completely unexpected and utterly wrong answer.
  7. Repeat 2-6 in random order for about 100 more papers, intermixed with
    1. Anxiety as I realize that it's been 2 hours and we've finished less than half the papers, and
    2. Liberation as I really get on a roll and zip through 5 in a row at breakneck speed.
  8. At last, there is a great sense of anticipation as the "finished" pile grows large and the papers to be graded slowly vanish from the table, followed by a final sense of satisfaction and accomplishment.
Whew! Let's do it again next week! Yayyy! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment