Friday, February 10, 2012

Mind Control: Wait. Start with Yours.

People talk about mind control as if controlling other people's minds would be something incredible and powerful. Of course, it would be. However, it's not quite as unbelievable as people often imagine, because in quite a real sense, we are able to control others' thoughts, at least to a low extent, by directing their thoughts. Advertisers, magicians, and politicians, among others, all make their livings with this ability. It's pretty amazing! :)

This brings me to the second point, that control of our own minds is not as concrete as people often imagine. The two relevant virtues that I can think of now are willpower and critical thinking. I often wish I had stronger determination, self-awareness, self-control.

I have procrastinated with full knowledge that if I were to start my work now, I could actually finish, but if I wait I will not be able to. I have fallen asleep while working in bed, steadily sinking minute by minute into the covers. I have been unable to get out of bed, hitting the snooze button after waking up for a few more minutes of slumber, to the point of missing class on more than one occasion. I have given myself completely reasonable new year's resolutions and similarly completely failed to maintain them. Perhaps this problem is just mine, and I ought to see a psychologist and cure myself; I rather think, though, that this is a more widespread phenomenon.

Second, critical thinking is a skill that is valuable even to those who are not critics. In an information-flooded era, it is more necessary and yet difficult than ever to be able to distinguish the sound facts and logic on which to base opinions. There are those who ignore information entirely, and base their opinions and beliefs on their past, general assumption, and previous bias. Then there are those who are information-children, innocently taking all the "facts" around them as true, when in fact many are examples of false reasoning, propaganda, and plain trickery.

Critical thinking is the ability to identify good and bad facts, logic, arguments, and therefore opinions, and even those who have it (most of us) simply fail to use and hone it as often as we might. Again, critical thinking in an information era is difficult and exhausting. The benefits, however, are improved thought, quality of life, and common sense, for free! :) Indeed, we all have common sense, hence the name. Critical thought, half of the ability to control your own mind, allows you to keep it, amidst everything trying to deny it. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment